TOWN OF PAONIA – REQUEST FOR LETTERS OF INTEREST FOR MUNICIPAL COURT JUDGE
The Town of Paonia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are chosen for employment or promotion based upon qualifications and without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
The Town of Paonia is a Colorado Statutory Town. The Town of Paonia is looking for a Municipal Judge to provide municipal court judge services in a comprehensive and timely manner. The Municipal Court Judge will work with the Chief of Police, Town’s Court Clerk and the Town Municipal Court Attorney to preside over the Municipal Court.
The Town operates a Municipal Court of record which has original jurisdiction of all cases arising under the provisions of the Town Municipal Code. The Municipal Court Judge is appointed for a two (2) year term by the Town of Paonia Board of Trustees.
Job Responsibilities. Essential duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Issue subpoenas, search warrants, bench warrants and warrants to enter property;
- Approve docketing, calendaring and case management policies and procedures;
- Establish bond and fine schedules as set by the Town Board of Trustees or the State of Colorado;
- Preside over Municipal Court for all misdemeanors, Town matters, jury and non-jury trials, pre-trial advisements and other cases appropriately tried in Municipal Court;
- Support court activities with the Chief of Police, Municipal Court Clerk and the Town Attorney;
- Review legislation and current case law affecting offenses and the criminal justice system and implement procedures to ensure compliance;
- Collaborate with the Town Administrator, Town Board of Trustees, Town Attorney and applicable Town departments to ensure policies, ordinances and orders are within the parameter of state law.
- Knowledge of:
- Ordinances, state statues, rules of procedure and court decisions relating to municipal courts;
- Judicial procedure and rules of evidence;
- The Municipal Code structure.
- Analyze evidence, applying existing laws impartially, and render prompt, equitable verdicts;
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Operate a computer, software and other office equipment.
- Education and/or Experience:
- Admitted to practice law in the State of Colorado;
- Current member of the Colorado State Bar.
- Familiarity with municipal code structures and State of Colorado traffic codes and laws.
Letters of interest and qualifications will be accepted until 4:30 PM on March 20, 2020. Resumes will be accepted as an attachment of additional information. Contact Town Administrator/Clerk Corinne Ferguson for additional information. The Town of Paonia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Town of Paonia
PO Box 460
214 Grand Ave.
Paonia CO 81428