This position is a certified police officer, as required by Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training Act. This is general law enforcement work, responsible for protecting life and property and enforcing laws and ordinances. Work involves routine patrol work and responding to emergency calls, citizen complaints, and alarms. Duties include preliminary investigations, special detail assignments, administrative duties and other special assignments as assigned by superiors.
• Patrols the Town of Paonia to provide a visible deterrent in uniform and in marked cars and to enforce laws and ordinances and protect life and property; monitors commercial and residential areas for signs of criminal activity, patrols for suspicious persons or vehicles.
• Enforces traffic and parking laws through the issuance of citations and warnings; routinely inspects roadways, bridges, and traffic signs to find and report any hazardous conditions.
• Performs business and residential security checks; checks building doors, windows, gates, and fences to ensure building/home is secured.
• Reports buildings, homes, vehicles, or equipment that is not secured; ensures the safety and well-being of all residents/employees on duty; learns employees work patterns and alerts them to possible suspects and crime prevention.
• Responds to calls for assistance, disturbance calls, and complaints of crimes; enforces Federal, State, and local laws by performing warrant, felony, or misdemeanor arrests; implements physical confrontation when necessary; protects the civil rights of persons in custody.
• Investigates traffic accidents by establishing point of impact, interviewing witnesses, and collecting, preserving, and packaging evidence; detects drunk drivers and performs sobriety evaluations; books DUI suspects.
• Secures and protects crime scene by establishing boundaries, detaining victims, suspects, and witnesses, locating and identifying evidence, and briefing supervisors and investigators on their arrival.
• Serves as first-responder to provide aid and assistance to victims of traffic and other accidents, assists fire and emergency medical services in treating and transporting victims.
• Prepares and maintains a wide variety of departmental records and reports in compliance with departmental and legal policies and procedures; prepares and files thorough written case reports.
• Maintains assigned uniform, vehicle, and equipment in accordance with departmental policy and procedures.
• Presents evidence and testimony in courts of law; assists in prosecuting felony and misdemeanor cases.
• Assists stranded motorists, directs traffic when necessary; escorts special processions; transports prisoners to jail.
• Participates in departmental training programs.
• Participates in community relation’s projects as required.
• Serves and executes criminal and traffic warrants on felony and misdemeanor suspects.
• Performs related work as required.
• Must be willing to relocate to Paonia Area.
• Must be POST certified.
• Have a valid Colorado driver’s license.
• Be able to pass psychological exam, background checks and pre-employment drug test.
• Requires a high school diploma or GED. Please submit proof of POST certification with your application.
Obtain and complete a Paonia Police Department Application from the Town of Paonia website or in person, at 214 Grand Ave., Paonia, CO 81428. Completed applications must either be dropped off in person or mailed to P.O. Box 460 Paonia, CO 81428 Attn. Chief Neil Ferguson. For more information, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be submitted by December 29, 2017.
The Town of Paonia is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, national origin, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. The Town complies with the Civil Rights Act of 1964, related Executive Orders 11246 and 11375, Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 402 of the Vietnam Era Veteran’s readjustment Act of 1974, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, as amended, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, and all civil rights laws of the State of Colorado. Accordingly, equal opportunity of employment shall be extended to all persons and the Town shall promote equal opportunity and treatment through fair and equitable hiring practices. The Town of Paonia Administration Building is located at 214 Grand Ave. Paonia, CO 81428.
APPLICATION LINK: Paonia Police Department Application 2017